Summer is always hard . All kids are home from school and here in Arizona, it’s HOT as HELL so going outside to play isn’t an option. Thankfully, I have thrown together a list of fun summer activities for kids that they will love.
I know that my house is alway chaotic especially during the summer. My grocery bill goes up along with my inpatient craziness. Since school has been out, I have literally ref’d countles fights and arguments between my children, cleaned up 10 million messes, mopped WAY too many times from spilled cereal and pop. I can honestly say I am exhausted and its only been 2 weeks.
A lot of moms ask me “How do you do it with 5 kids and still stay sane?” Well number 1: I am so not sane, more like insane. Number 2: when we are stuck in the house all day that’s when we (kids and myself) get stressed out and grouchy. I have made myself a goal to do something fun and productive each day with my kids. So far, so good. They seem to be loving summer so that means I am doing something right. Maybe, I should teach them how to fold laundry. Check out Confessions of a Dirty Ass Laundry Room for some hilarious real life mom moments.
Here is a list of Summer Activities for Kids:
- SWIMMING: This has been my saving grace so far! I can’t tell you how many hours we have spent at our neighborhood jr high pool. I swear every day at 1pm we are down there getting our swim in. It tires out my kids. After swimming they are chill and happy. It’s like they jump into holy water and come out as brand new children. Plus, I can’t complain much about the quick and easy bedtime process afterward. They fall asleep quick and they sleep like rocks. No one can wake them. It truly has my saving grace. I also purchased my local summer pool pass so I save money in the end, plus I get a rockin’ tan!
- LAKE: Here in Arizona (where I live) we have an awesome beach like lake called Butcher Jones Beach. It is a quick fun retreat we can go to that makes it feel we are in a different state. My kids love it. We have rented paddle boards to play on in the water. It is something you MUST do with your kids. So fun and great exercise for me! My kids loved being able to stand up and paddle on the “surfboard” Also take some hotdogs and soda. All lakes will have some sort of grill you can cook some easy things on. It’s a fun day for barely any cost!
- CAMPING: This is a summertime tradition with my family. When my sons birthday comes around he doesn’t want a party, He wants to go camping! There is something about sleeping under the stars with the crisp mountain air that really gets my kids excited. We try and camp a lot during the summers. It’s the perfect weekend getaway that isn’t too expensive. I want my kids to be able and enjoy what nature has to offer. The world is such a beautiful place and way better than any hotel you can stay at!
- HIKING: Only the last year have I really tried and hiked with my kids. I thought that they would be too small and would complain the whole time. The first hike we did was awesome with a great view at the end. It was hard work hiking up to the top and my kids were tired but they will agree with me, well worth it. In Arizona hiking in the summer is not recommended because you will sweat your ass off but if you had to, wake up early and beat the heat!
- ZOO: We are obsessed with the zoo. We go and love to see all the different animals and how they interact with each other. One time while traveling in Colorado, we visited the zoo in Denver. A group of animals started “fighting” and making funny noises. My kids asked what was going on and why that animal was getting on top of the other animal. I said “They are fighting over what they wanted to eat for dinner” It was hilarious. My kids always seem to bring up that story. I wonder when they will figure out that they weren’t really fighting…?
- DRIVE-IN MOVIES: This is hands down one of our favorite things to do. We go see new releases for less than $20.00 for my entire family. I bring the couch cushions, blankets, pillows, pop my own popcorn, fill water bottles with Kool-Aid (yes, I am a cheap A) and we have a grand time. When we pull up I always lay all my seats down in my van and make a big bed. My kids crawl in there, get cozy and let the big screen take them to a whole new level of imagination. The last time I went my son did have a meltdown of the century. He got his kindle fire taken away for a good 6 months. Apparently, I wasn’t following my own advice from my latest post of Stop the Meltdowns 101 because that kid was bat shit crazy running around screaming at the top of his lungs. Haha, I laugh now only because I’m glad that humiliating day is OVER and DONE!
- GROUPON: Another favorite and saving grace for me this summer has been Groupon. I check that every day to see what kind of deals they have. Normally they have cool things I can take my kids to and not worry about breaking the bank. There is this cool indoor jungle gym that I have been dying to take my family too. The problem is it is SO EXPENSIVE it would have been about $65.00 total just to go there. I’m not going to spend that kind of money on something unless it was Disneyland. I checked out Groupon, low and behold it was on there for a fraction of the price. We had such a blast and thank you Groupon for being amazing and coming through when I need you!