How do you to take beautiful Instagram photos? I know it sounds crazy but nowadays our phones are our cameras.
I have a Canon 5D Mark iii but I shoot most of my everyday photos with my phone. Stupid I know, but I can’t take my huge nice camera everywhere. It’s my baby and I don’t want anything to happen to it. Knowing me if I was put in a situation where I have to save my camera or my kids….. Well, hands down, my kids would win but my camera would be a close second! So I don’t put myself in that situation.
When something amazing happens with my kiddos, I whip out my old iPhone 6 plus and start shooting.
Most of the time everyone, and by everyone I truly mean EVERYONE, Will take their photo and post it on social media (Instagram, Facebook and twitter) because that is what we do these days. I have no idea why it is so important but somehow it is and I’m addicted.
A few tips to help you create better and beautiful Instagram photos!
- Know your surroundings! This is a serious tip. If there is a trash can in your photo I highly recommend moving it out of the way. You don’t want your subjects to be compared to the trash in the background. Either move it out of the way or shoot in a way where you cannot see it. Biggest bet peeve I have. No one likes trash.. take it out!
- Notice your angles. I love to shoot point blank because I usually do group shots of my kids but if I’m feeling crazy, I will shoot from above and the photo comes out even better! For example, if you want to shoot a photo of your kids reading books, try shooting from above to create a beautiful artsy photo
- Only shoot during the day. (optional) This one rule I live by. I am such a sucker for natural light and bright images that I will only shoot during the day. (mostly mornings) The way the sun lights up my images completes my soul. I can not stand a lousy cell phone flash. It’s not pretty or cool to shoot with the crappy flash and post your red or yellow eyes! Come on guys, You have to know that doesn’t look good and throwing a Black & White filter on it doesn’t help the image. JUST LET IT GO!
- Focus the phone camera on your subjects. To create a little background blur, have your subject step closer to you (farther away from the background) and focus your camera on them. You tap your finger on the screen and let the camera know where you want to focus.
- Don’t be fooled by the Instagram Filters. They aren’t pretty and quite frankly completely hideous. If you want to use Instagram filters I recommend creating them yourself with the “Edit” button and manually go through each step and create your own filter. (ie: adjust, brightness, contrast, structure, warmth, saturation, color, fade, highlights, shadows, vignette, tilt-shift and sharpen)
- Finally… Make sure your image lines up correctly. If you have a building in the background, make sure it is straight or if your subjects are sitting on a bench, make sure it lines up straight. Nothing is worse than looking at a photo where the kids look cute but the building in the back it absolutely crooked.
While it may sound like a ton of work to do before taking a photo but after the first few times, it gets easier. It’s now second nature to me. I just automatically shoot this way and it saves me much time and embarrassment. If I take my kids and do something really awesome and my picture doesn’t turn out, I will not post it! I’m a picture snob for sure!
There you have it, a few awesome tips to help you take beautiful Instagram photos. Apply these tips to your photos and feel free to tag me. I want to see them!